Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Team 1

To get started, each one of you should find out who Zora Neale Hurston was and list one book, essay, etc. that she produced.

19 comments:

  1. Zora Neal Hurston (1891-1960) was a renown folklorist, anthropologist, and author who penned numerous short stories and plays during the period of history known as the Harlem Renaissance of the 1920s.
    She grew up in nearby Eatonville, FL which at the time when it was first established (1887) was the nation's first black township. After her mother had died when she was 13 years old, Zora struggled to finish school while she was working to support herself. She eventually went on to finish high school by lying about her age and graduated from Barnard College in 1928.
    Zora is said to have had a high spirited and infectious personality, which led her to make friends with the likes of poet Langston Hughes and singer/ actress Ethel Waters.
    Hurston is best known for her novel "Their Eyes Were Watching God." Her fame and recognition came posthumously; writers such as Ralph Ellison and Toni Morrison have attributed Hurston as having a tremendous influence on their own work.
    Zora Neale Hurston embodied the richness of the African American experience and made significant contributions to African-American literature.


    Some of her work includes:
    "Their Eyes Were Watching God" (1937)
    "Every Tongue Got to Confess" (1920s)
    and "Seraph on the Sewanee" (1948)

    Source: http://zoranealehurston.com/index.html

    -Anna Montoya

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://zorafestival.com/

    We should definitely include the annual festival, especially because it occurs right here in Orlando. I looked at the schedule which includes performances and opportunities. Like the other posts have reiterated about her biographical information, she is an incredibly influential African American icon and I think that it is important to focus not only on what she has accomplished, but how she is still able to affect the public through performances and exhibitions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zoar Neale Hurston was one of the most important African American writers during the 20th Century. Not only did her writings effect the people of her time, they are still well-known today. One of her books is titled, "Dust Tracks on the Road", is an autobiography. It was published in 1942, and is described by HarperCollinsPublishers as being "candid, funny, bold, and poignant." The New Yorker described it as “Warm, witty, imaginative. . . . This is a rich and winning book.”

    In the closing of the book, Hurston writes, "Consider that with tolerance and patience, we goodly demons may breed a noble world in a few hundred generations or so."

    I think this book, because it is her own atuobiography of her life, would greatly help us in understanding Zora Neal Hurston.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2. Final exhibition proposal. Approximately 10-12 pages total.
    • This will consist of the material above (preliminary exhibition proposal), with adjustments made in response to my feedback.
    • It will also include two additional pieces:
    a. Cultural property statement. You should designate one of your objects as a cultural property problem. You can really use your imagination here, but, looking back to your previous research and paper, make sure it’s a plausible problem. After describing your controversy, state what you are going to do about it. For this piece, you should consult the American Association of Museums material on Museum Ethics: http://www.aam-us.org/museumresources/ethics/index.cfm
    b. Didactic material. This is the written material that will be available to the public. It will consist of a gallery guide and wall text.
    • The gallery guide is an illustrated pamphlet that provides context for the exhibition. You should use the books and articles on your bibliography as sources of information for your gallery guide essays. These sources should be cited using the Chicago Manual Style Guide (see course web page for link or go to Olin Library web page under “tools.”)
    • Wall text takes the form of panels placed on the wall that explain works of art in depth and/or highlight aspects of the display that you think are most important for visitors to know.

    The gallery guide should be about 5 pages of text, 250 words to a page, plus illustrations. The wall text should include an introductory panel of about 500 words, and 3-4 individual panels of about 250 words each.

    So... how do you guys want to tackle this?

    From: Moriah Russo

    ReplyDelete
  5. We should all decided on how we want to approach the Cultural Property issue, then designate a person to do a page long write up on the basis problems, what's at stake, etc. The second part we should divide amongst ourselves so that no one person is doing all of the work. Maybe two people can make a pamphlet (front and back) - 2 pages. And then each of us makes a individual panel. I will be in the library all night tonight if your would like to meet. It would probably be a good idea to do so to make sure that we are all on the same page. Let me know what you all think. As soon as I hear back from you I will move forward with my work. Thanks!

    From: Anna Montoya

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a really busy day and am meeting for another group project (ugh), but I think I can meet later, maybe around 7? I will be free maybe for a few hours, and then it's possible that I can return to the library or wherever and keep working latelate tonight. I'd be up for doing the cultural property part? or whatever. Sorry this had become so last minute... oi.

    From: Moriah Russo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm confused is this due tomorrow? Sorry I just responded I've been out all day.

    From: Hannah Barr

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Hannah,
    Yes, the final proposal is due tomorrow. Becky, Anna and I couldn't get a hold of you and we met today to work on the project. We left the gallery guide for you to do. Here is the section from our instructions:

    The gallery guide is an illustrated pamphlet that provides context for the exhibition. You should use the books and articles on your bibliography as sources of information for your gallery guide essays. These sources should be cited using the Chicago Manual Style Guide (see course web page for link or go to Olin Library web page under “tools.”) The gallery guide should be about 5 pages of text, 250 words to a page, plus illustrations.

    You can do this and bring it in tomorrow if you have the time to do it tonight.

    From: Moriah Russo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll e-mail you what we have done

    From: Moriah Russo

    ReplyDelete
  10. wait oh my gosh im so sorry! so do i have to write 5 pages tonight?!

    From: Hannah Barr

    ReplyDelete
  11. 250 per page of the pamphlet plus images. just lay it out like a booklet and you'll only have to write like 5 paragraphs. Yeah, it's due tomorrow, but if you need to turn it in later I'm sure Dr. Libby would understand. We all did a lot of work today, I guess we didn't realize how much there was left to do. good luck!

    From: Moriah Russo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Who is printing everything out to bring in for class?!

    From: Anna Montoya

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have printed my pamphlet but hopefully someone has printed the other things?

    From: Hannah Barr

    ReplyDelete
  14. I emailed my stuff to moriah...

    From: Becky Ainsworth

    ReplyDelete
  15. I e-mailed you guys everything in one document with consistent formatting as well as the power point. I was planning to print them out before class, but if one of you guys is already in the library that'd be cool if you could print it out! I will print the stuff if I don't here back.

    From: Moriah Russo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Becky, could you call Moriah to make sure that she brings everything with her to class. I don't have a phone...
    Thanks!

    From: Anna Montoya

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'll bring everything Anna! No worries :)

    From: Moriah Russo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey guys,
    I would just like to let you know that i was not in class on monday because I have been hospitalized for the past few days. there is a good chance that i will be released tonight but regardless, i will be unable to make it to class tomorrow. i am so sorry for the inconvenience with it being hte end of the semester and all, and i know that we have a lot of work to do on our project. please please let me know what i can do to make up for lost class time and what i can contribute over e-mail. i hope that you all understand my predicament. dr libby knows and is obviously not penalizing me for my absences but i am still a member of your group and i feel that i need to be involved! thanks! sorry again.

    From: Hannah Barr

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Hannah,
    I'm really sorry to hear that! I hope that you are doing better whatever is going on. No worries about class. We're pretty much finished with the sketch-up model for our exhibition and today are working on the power-point poster for the final presentation. Do you know about the 8-page paper that's due? Each group member has to write their own :( I don't know if Dr. Libby expects you to turn it in, but here are the guidelines just in case:

    Final paper. This is your primary individual contribution to your project. The paper should be a thoughtful, well-written reflection on this project in which you thoroughly answer these questions. Minimum 8 pages, double-spaced.

    • Summarize your contributions to the project. What did you like best and what did you learn from your work? What sources from your bibliography were especially interesting and relevant? Which ones do you think you should have explored more if you had the time?
    • Reflect on your exhibition theme and add any additional points about its importance and points of interest that didn’t get addressed in your gallery guide.
    • Did any of the topics that arose during this project relate to anything else you’re studying in school and/or experiencing in our culture today? If so, how, and what did you learn?
    • In conclusion, reflect on how all of the exhibitions work together –or didn’t, in your view. Knowing what you know now about the history of art, do you think enough important themes were adequately covered? If you were a curator in charge of all of the spaces in the whole museum, would you have done anything differently? If so, what and why?

    Other than that, if you could just send the document for the gallery guide that you made to me by e-mail then I can include it in the final presentation. I'll e-mail you our model so you can check it out, too!

    All the best.

    From: Moriah Russo

    ReplyDelete